Timeline

MWM DIESEL ENGINES: 63 YEARS OF BRAZIL

With 63 years of history in the country, the Company followed a path of change, challenges and achievements. Starting from small manufacturing sheds in the first years, MWM Diesel Engines reaches maturity in the position of a globally reputable and recognized company. Currently, it serves major automobile manufacturers in Brazil and exports to several countries, becoming a reference standard of quality and technology, which took it to a leading position in the diesel engine market in Mercosur.

The 50's

In 1953, MWM settled in Brazil as MWM Motores Diesel SA. Initially, the partners were WMF (German company with operations in Brazil) and MWM from Germany and Knorr-Bremse AG group.

A year later, MWM started a project to build KD12-series engines. In Germany, KD12 was the state-of-the-art engine. In Brazil, the engine was sold for industrial, agricultural and marine use.

MWM office was installed on Florêncio de Abreu Street in downtown São Paulo. In 1955, the company acquired a land in Jurubatuba (Santo Amaro) suburb, where the company remains installed until today.

The engines' assembly with nationalization rate of 25% began in 1956 at Naumann Gepp facilities. These engines were designed to generators and fishing boats. That same year, the MWM plant construction began, and in 1957 it was opened with Mannheim MWM financial support, which took a majority stake.

The 60's

The year of 1961 highlighted the production of the 5,000th engine. With steady growth, in 1967 MWM went into OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) business - providing direct supply to large assembly customers - and also renewed its products by introducing D222-series engines.

The 70's

In early 1971, there was the gradual replacement of D222 engines by D225 family, which reached almost 100% of nationalization.

Upon financial contribution from Knorr-Bremse, MWM began to have increasing share of this company.The high price of fuel in the early 70's encouraged the Brazilian market to consider Diesel engines and, in 1973 MWM introduced its first vehicular engine, the D225, which began equipping Chrysler Dodge D950 trucks.

In 1976, MWM Motores Diesel SA became MWM Motores Diesel Ltda. With sales booming, the company showed a strong growth, mainly due to the new customers: Ford and VW Trucks.

The 80's

The difficult 80's have caused MWM to develop engines with alternative fuels, such as PID to equip Valmet tractors and Ford's F-22000.

In the vehicle division, Volkswagen, which acquired Chrysler do Brasil in 1980 kept its line of trucks with MWM engines. Alfa-Metais' Agrale and Puma trucks have also become MWM customers at that time.

In 1986 there were changes in the group structure. Knorr-Bremse sold all Europe and EUA MWM engine divisions, keeping only the Brazilian unit.

The 90's

For MWM, the beginning of this decade brought important innovations. Agrale launched its line of tractors with MWM engines, Volkswagen introduced 10-series engines in its mid-size trucks and Autolatina - Volkswagen's association with Ford - launched the chassis for urban bus with MWM engine. With these new applications, MWM reached, in 1993, a total of 800,000 engines produced.

In 1995, MWM was awarded with quality acknowledgement of its engine 4.10 TCA by the demanding German market, which began equipping L80 trucks, approved with Euro 2 certification. In Europe, it was the first conventional injection engine to receive such qualification. In Brazil, MWM began equipping Ford's, Volkswagen's, Agrale's and Alfa-Metais' light and mid-size trucks. As for engine 6.10, it was used on Ford's and Volkswagen's urban bus chassis.

The year of 1996 marked the beginning of Sprint Series production, which occupied an independent production line. For its creation, MWM was awarded for Outstanding Technology. The first Sprint engines were allocated to GM plant in Córdoba, Argentina, to equip Silverado pickup truck.

In 1997, MWM began equipping German Volkswagen LT2 utility vehicles with state-of-the-art Sprint engine. These sales constituted the first significant exports volume of the company. In the following year, MWM celebrated the production of 1 million engines in Brazil.

21st Century

MWM began the new century with the organization of its service network, referred to as Sprint Service, as it reached a market share of 30% of Diesel vehicles equipped with the brand's engines in Mercosur.

In 2005, MWM Motores Diesel was established as a result of an agreement signed by International Engines South America, a subsidiary of the North-American Navistar International Corporation.

Currently, MWM Diesel Engines are considered state-of-the-art of development and are ahead of the Brazilian legislation with regard to gas emissions and noise, as they meet the highest standards of European legislation.